Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Death Road

"El mas barrato, por favor." The cheapest one, please. After I said it, I realized my response to which level of bike I wanted for our trip down "The World's Most Dangerous Road" probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever said. Oh well, what's the worst that could happen on the road also known as "The Death Road"?

This road, so named for the 100 or so folks that fall to their deaths here annually, has become famous among visitors to Bolivia and one of the "must-dos" on a visit to La Paz. Nobody died in our group (three backpackers have ended their trips here this year), but it was easy to see how this road has become so (in)famous. It was absolutely nuts (and a complete blast) in many places.

(Many of these photos need a closer look to get the full effect - ie.- the shot of the van driving above the area where two other trucks/buses have slid down the mountain)

No comments:

Post a Comment