Friday, April 4, 2008

El Bolson - Hippies, Hippies everywhere


I decided to make a quick stop in El Bolson (ARG) which is known most for its abundance of laid-back, artsy folk and groovy market. Though both of these were appreciated (the hippies for picking me up while hitchhiking and the market for the amazing locally grown and made food), a hike up to Cerro Hielo Azul (blue ice) and the higher Barta Negra (black something or other) made this stopover an unbelievable experience. A soon-to-be med student from Iowa and I somehow managed to get lost several times over the couple days of this trek, but the 360* views from Barta Negra's peak were incredible. To get there, we crossed the sketchiest bridge I've ever been on and met a great family (girl in wheelbarrow) that ran the mountain-top refugio where we camped. Eating lunch atop a 6000 foot peak with giant condors riding past on up-drafts is something I will never forget. I only wish I had better pictures of these majestic birds (which can have a 9 foot wingspan in length), but I was too in awe to grab my camera. El Bolson also marked the beginning of my ¨Couch Surfing Experience¨. CS is a website used worldwide that connects travellers and couches (or floors, beds, rooms, etc). It is a way for travellers to find a free place to stay, but more importantly to connect people of different nationalities. For my first experience, we (Iowa guy and myself) camped in Fede´s (40 year old Argentinian guy named Federico) yard after hanging out with him, his daughter and his mother for a night. More CS stories to come I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment