Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pucon, Chile - Ascent of Volcan Villarica

One of my favorite things about traveling solo and without a real plan is the ability to make it up as I go. I had planned to stay here in this little town of Pucon for only a couple days before heading North to my first real city, Santiago. It's now been 6 days and I'm finally leaving. I wandered into a great hostel with some very nice people and haven't been able to leave. I took one day to climb Volcan Villarica which, although not super difficult, requires a guide, ice axe and crampons. After a beautiful day with some spectacular views (including an ever-smoking volcano), I've been hiking, relaxing and enjoying the scenery that surrounds a famous half-ironman triathlon course. It´s supposed to a very difficult course so I could not resist going for a long run yesterday to see what it was all about. Difficult, but beautiful - I would definitely love to come back and do the race some year.

No comments:

Post a Comment