Monday, April 7, 2008

Villa La Angostura....saying farewell to a friend

Instead of heading too far, I decided to stop over in a small town that a Canadian couple said looked "pretty neat". Here in Villa La Angostura, there are tourist options abound, but in a much more "tranquilo" way than other towns like El Calafate. I ended up in a hostel with 6 Argentinians, traveling separately, and a couple gringos (a Dutch girl and an American guy). Everyone there spoke Spanish except for me which was great. It was a great opportunity to listen, learn and practice. This is not generally the case in most hostels as English is the default language spoken 95% of the time. I went hiking with a couple of the girls from Buenos Aires which was helpful with my Spanish practice, and also very entertaining to hear some of the English phrases they would quote from movies they had seen. Also entertaining, were the three stray dogs that followed us from town, up to a waterfall and lookout, all the back to town, to the grocery store (where they waited for twenty minutes) and back to our hostel. This is not an odd occurrence in the Southern part of Argentina as there are stray dogs everywhere.
Finally, one of the guys from Buenos Aires had an electric razor which gave me the opportunity to bid farewell to the ginger beard (as the folks from England call it). I could not resist taking a photo midway through the process. Notice the Lanus jersey I'm wearing in the photo that was given to me by Nati the Portena (term used for a girl from BA). I guess I am now a huge Lanus (Argentinian Soccer team) fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment