Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ahh, the Caribbean...Parque Tayrona & Cartagena (Colombia)

For months I´ve been waiting for this. As much as I was eagerly awaiting my arrival into Colombia, I longed for its Caribbean coast even more. The combination of wonderful people, warm weather and refreshing water that had been beckoning, was finally here. In addition to all of this, a good friend from DC was coming down to visit and join me for the sail over to Panama. So exciting to see a familiar face!

I spent a couple days awaiting Liza´s arrival by relaxing, hiking and exploring the dense, cactus-filled mountainsides around the coastal town of Taganga. That last part was not planned nor appreciated - my hands and legs are filled with cactus needles collected while trying to escape the prickly incarceration. Once together, Liza and I went scuba diving and drank pitchers of smoothies and daiquiris made from papaya, mango, passion fruit, strawberry, Banana, blackberry and whatever else we could find. Sufficiently plied with tropical beverages, we then headed to a place that can only be described as paradise. I had heard so many good things about Parque Tayrona that it was almost certain to disappoint. Incredibly, the serenity and beauty of this boulder-filled, palm tree-lined beach/park surpassed anything I could have imagined. From our accommodations (hammocks under a thatched gazebo perched directly over the crashing waves below) we watched the most spectacular electrical storm I´ve ever seen. Wow!





















Unfortunately we eventually had to continue on (via an absolutely loco boat ride) towards Cartagena to try and set up a sailboat ride to Panama. This colonial city, filled with colorful buildings, colorful people and colorful sunsets provided a perfect backdrop for my sad goodbye to this amazing country. A couple photos of the city skyline from our boat and Colombia was quickly only a memory...

No comments:

Post a Comment