Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bocas del Toro, Panama - a unique place to run

¨The best place is out at the airport just after the last flight of the day takes off.¨

The responses are always interesting whenever I ask a local for advice on where to go running. From the most common reply, a puzzled ¨You mean you want to run, just to run?¨ to the odd, yet intriguing one ¨There´s a group of old folks that jogs in that (1/4 mile around) park every morning at 4 AM¨, I never know what to expect. This latest suggestion, in Bocas Del Toro, seemed way too good to pass up. So, at 5:05 PM after Air Panama flight #1726 took off for Panama City, I headed out to the tarmac and joined several locals running down the incredibly flat, incredibly straight stretch of asphalt while a couple different groups played some pick-up fútbol. I´m not sure when I´ll ever get a chance to do that again or if I´d ever care to run on a (long, flat, straight) runway again, but it was a pretty cool ¨couldn´t do that in the states¨ experience.While not running at Bocas Del Toro International, I took the muddiest 5 mile bike ride of my life, snorkeled a bit and hung out at red frog beach. And yes, Halloween, complete with all the trimmings (including costumes) is everywhere.











No comments:

Post a Comment